20/05/2008

Lance Wyman

Selfportrait
I was born in Newark, New Jersey in 1937 and lived the first 19 years of my life just across the Passaic River in Kearny. My father ran a commercial fishing boat and I spent time on the Atlantic with him during grade school years. Kearny was an industrial area and I worked in the factories during the summers to pay my college tuition. The no-nonsense functional aesthetic of the sea and the factories has been an important influence in my approach to design.

In 1960 I graduated from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York with a degree in Industrial Design. At that time graphic design was a European influence that was just being introduced in American universities at the graduate level. When I met a student who studied logo design with Paul Rand at Yale, I knew I wanted to design logos.

I started my career in Detroit, Michigan, first with General Motors, and later with the office of William Schmidt. At General Motors I designed the packaging system for their Delco automotive parts that unified 1,200 different packages. At the Schmidt office I did the graphics for the 1962 USA Pavilion at the trade fair in Zagreb, Yugoslavia. The theme of the exhibition was "Leisure Time". I devised an hourglass logo with a sun and moon image in the top and used it as a gateway to the exhibit. It was my first experience integrating logo design into a three-dimensional environment. [Ler mais...]


Outras referências:
http://www.lancewyman.com/